Sunday, December 29, 2013

Frohe Weihnachten from Germany!

My family and I had a wonderful opportunity to visit my parents in Germany earlier this month.  We had the best time celebrating Christmas Germany-Style!  Here are some highlights and photos of our time together.

When we first arrived in Germany, my Dad took our luggage in their little car and my Mom went with us on the train to their apartment.  They live right by a train stop, so we took the train a lot.  We actually got pretty good at getting around.

That first evening we were there, we went to my parent's Ward Christmas Party.  We got to meet several of the ward members and the missionaries serving in that ward.  In fact, the missionaries were asked to perform an American Christmas song.  The program organizer suggested this familiar tune.

The next day was Sunday.  When we were finally able to wake up and get dressed, we met my parents at church. They often attend the Germany Ward and the International Ward which is comprised of many military families.  Sundays are busy day for my parents.  In addition to often times attending both wards, my Dad also serves on the High Council for their Stake.  He is over the YM/YW organization.  So there are many meetings.

After church we headed back to the apartment.  In Germany, they celebrate the 4 Sundays of Advent.  Beginning 4 Sundays before Christmas, they light one of 4 candles to countdown the days til the Christ child is born.  So, each Sunday they add another candle until Christmas.  Since we weren't there for the first Sunday, we lit the first 2 candles on the second night of Advent.  Then my parents sang "Silent Night" in German, the language this beloved song was originally written in.  I hope to continue this tradition each year with my little family.


The next day we went to our first Weinachtsmarkt (Christmas Market).  It was amazing!  There were little outdoor shops everywhere.  it went on for blocks and blocks.  There were Christmas ornaments, nutcrackers, Christmas pyramids and lots of food and sweets.

We had some yummy fish cooked over hot coals.  My Dad was gracious enough to pose with the fish after we had cleaned all the good stuff off the bones.  (He didn't actually eat the head.)  The kids weren't impressed with the fish so they had authentic Italian pizza and French crepes.

The Weihnachtsmarkts are even more amazing at night.  Everything is covered in Christmas lights.  It was beautiful!

My mom took us ice skating one night.  The kids had a blast!  My feet didn't:-)  But we all had fun anyway.

My mom and dad have won their way into the hearts of all the missionaries and the young single adults in Stuttgart.  We met many of the missionaries at FHE and then later at their Christmas Zone Conference.  We also met some of the YSAs that have adopted my parents.  One in particular is Johann.  He calls my parents Grandma and Grandpa (omi and opi).  He showed us around Ludwigsburg one day and held out his hand to Phoenix.  He took Johann's hand and they walked through the farmer's market and the Weihnachtsmarkt together.


We also toured the Ludwigsburg castle while we were there.  It was SO foggy and SO cold that day.  My mom spent quite a bit of time rubbing my kids' cold feet and hands.

My parents took us to a beautiful spot that overlooked Stuttgart.  It's really a neat city.  It was unlike anything I have ever seen before here in America.  There is just so much history everywhere you look.

The last Weihnachtsmarkt we visited was in Esslingen.  It was by far the most beautiful.  The city was so charming and so very European.  I loved all the old buildings.  I took WAY too many photos while we were there.


There were so many people standing around drinking at these markets.  There were little bars everywhere.  We got the kinder punch.  It was good because it was so warm (and non-alcoholic) and it was SO cold outside.

My dad took Ray and me out for authentic schnitzel.  It was SO good.  I had looked forward to this since we arrived, and I was not disappointed.  Mine was the kinder portion. Ray's and my dad's were bigger than theie plates.  None of us finished, but it made great left overs the next day.

Your next Sunday there, we were scheduled to fly back home.  Well, we were going standby and didn't get on the flight.  The kids were not disappointedt all!  This meant two more days with Grandma and Grandpa.  And I can think of worse places to be stranded for a couple of extra days!

We are so grateful for the time that we were able to spend with my parents in such a beautiful place at such a wonderful time of the year.  Frohe Weihnachten from our family to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment